The Queen will reopen the restored Cutty Sark in Greenwich next year as part of her Diamond Jubilee celebrations.
Cutty Sark – the world’s last tea clipper – has been in dry dock at Greenwich, London since 1954. Following painstaking restoration work, the clipper was originally officially opened by HM Queen Elizabeth II in 1957 – in a ceremony broadcast live on the BBC. Since then, she has been visited by over 15 million people from all over the world. In 2006, a multi-million pound restoration project began, which was delayed when the vessel was badly damaged by fire in May 2007.
The Duke of Edinburgh, who also holds the title of Baron Greenwich, is president of the Cutty Sark Trust and has been a regular visitor during the restoration.
2012 will be a landmark year for the Borough of Greenwich – as it becomes a ‘Royal Borough’ from January 3rd 2012, an honour bestowed upon Greenwich by The Queen, to mark her Diamond Jubilee.
For more information on the history of the Cutty Sark and to keep up to date with the reopening – visit http://www.cuttysark.org.uk